Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Rip cut some camphor
I decided to give it a try.
Uprooting that tree wasn't easy. Camphor wood has many roots and it is well anchored (my stepfather gave a hand)
The job done, remained to move the tree to a proper place, and since I want to rip cut it on site, it had to be well maintained.
I started by removing the bark with a drawknife so that the remaining mud wouldn't harm the saw and it would be easier anyway if no mud goes into the kerf.
The first cut on a well stabilized piece.
My 2 years old son gives the scale here.
Sunday jan 14th, trying another saw (Izaemon maebiki).
I have no idea yet what I will do with the planks I'll get, and the rip is just begining. It is a tough task, and fortunately the tree is not very hard. The sharpened maebiki works nicely here.
After 2 mornings of effort, about half has been cut. The remaining will be cut with the tree laying on its side.